Monday, October 12, 2009

Thank You, Arnold!

If you read here you know that I don't get political. I just don't. I don't want to impose my beliefs on you and I don't want to alienate you if you don't agree with me. So...I guess...just know that if you have a belief, I'm going to respect it, (unless you believe in hurting people or violating the rights of others...those are things I'm just not okay with.) What I'm writing about today has more to do with...just doing the right thing.

I think it's a fine thing that California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger did in signing a bill to create a day honoring Harvey Milk.

I also think is cowardly that an individual wanting to "save" California has posted a rather hot criticism about the creation of this day on his blog, but closed comments.

It's definitely appropriate to close comments in some cases. But in this case, it seems to be the equivalent of spouting off your own, close-minded ideas, covering your ears and saying "lalalalalalalalIcan'thearyou!!!" instead of having a dialogue that might broaden the mind.

The author of that post feels that what we're teaching schoolchildren about is Milk's sexuality. My personal opinion is that if you're talking about sex (outside of the basic sex ed body stuff) in the classroom, it's out of line. No teacher in a public schoolroom is going to promote homosexuality or heterosexuality. They're not promoting sexuality. In fact, sex is the last thing that should be honored on this day, no more than someone should talk about what Martin Luther King, Jr. did in the bedroom when we honor his day. I don't want to know what any public figures are doing in the bedroom! That isn't for me to think about. When I hear rumors at work, I feel the same way - none of my business, don't want to know, thanks for the visual...no. So, for this dude to think that we're going to talk about sex when we talk about Milk is ignorant.

Instead, this day is about honoring an American who was courageous and exercised his right to demonstrate and speak freely. It is to honor someone who was focused and who wanted to make a difference. Great things have been accomplished by people throughout history who have taken this initiative. Milk was murdered for his beliefs, but by honoring him, we communicate that killing the person doesn't kill the dream and that Milk's life's work was not all for nothing.

I'm proud of the Governor for reconsidering what he denied a year ago and making this day happen. I think it was the right thing to do.

No comments: