Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Happenings

This weekend, we're celebrating my Mom's 70th birthday. SEVENTY! Holy buckets...it's just so hard to believe. And we're also celebrating my step-Dad's retirement! He has been teaching for such a very long time and finally decided to give himself a break.

I don't think of my folks as old or anything...they are pretty capable and in good shape. I do see some tell tale signs, though, that they're getting on (besides 70th birthdays and retirements, which are clear signals!) I was a passenger while my Mom drove last weekend and it was obvious to me that her skills are deteriorating. And, I sometimes see them less willing to try new things, like the grill or the cordless phone we bought them, because it's new and different and they're a little intimidated. They like things simple...they share one cell phone between them.

At the same time, I see their sense of adventure is still in tact. They go on little drives (about an hour) to the Farmer's Market, but then they go on big drives, too: a few years ago, they drove all the way to Mt. Rushmore (from Ohio!) armed only with a general plan, their luggage, funds and GPS.

My folks may be getting older, but I don't think they are winding down by any means.

My sister and her family will come into town this weekend to celebrate these occasions and I know that will make her very happy and proud. My step-Dad will be touched. I know it will be a lovely time.

Until then, planning, gifts, cleaning and organizing (so much still needs to be done and not enough time to do it all!) and looking forward to celebrating their lives.

No comments: