Monday, March 14, 2011


(I don't even know what that title means. My fingers did that all on their own...)

It's Monday again. We did make it to Columbus this weekend, saw some friends, had dinner, drank way too much, stayed downtown (in the hotel room that I thought was for last weekend), had a nice brunch, attended our family meeting and drove back to Cincinnati after.

All the while, my right eye has been watering. Originally inspired by allergies, I now suspect that my eye is jacked because makeup went into it (due to watering) which made it irritated which means that it continues to water. And water. And water. And burn. And then water some more. TOTALLY ANNOYING. I know what you sensible people out there are saying: "Why don't you just take a break from the eye makeup to let your eye calm down?" Are you kidding me?! That is like you asking Batman for the keys to the Batmobile, or asking Superman if you can blow your nose on his cape. Ain't happenin'! We'll just stick to the waterproof stuff until the watering subsides.

Our family meeting was interesting. You remember when I said last week that we'd gone to Columbus to take a phone to a family member who is down on his luck? Well, it's more than that. It's complicated and we were meeting to talk about what to do to best help the family member. (Actually, the family member was supposed to be there, but didn't show.) goes on. It's a source of heartbreak and worry and praying. It's too much to write about just now. But that is where we were and why we were there.

I had an exam for work last week and even though I studied like crazy, I failed it...failing is 70% or worse. It was the final part of a three-part course of study. Something you may not know about me...I'm not a good test-taker. Actually, I would say that I am a horrible test-taker. Here is how it goes for me - I go into the room to sign in. I notice my hand is trembling a little when I pick up the pen to write. I actually write in the wrong space because I'm nervous. I sit at the computer assigned to me and I notice how bright the light seems, and how bright the computer screen is and how someone is chewing bubble gum and the smell is making me want to hurl. (And I really like bubble gum, so I don't know what that was about.) The test administrator says we can begin. The woman in the cubicle next to me is taking an open answer test, (the rest of us have multiple choice), so she is innocently typing her answers on the keypad. However, it is loud and distracting, like she may as well have been hammering keys in the same box that I'm in. I notice my heart is beating in my head. Words I'm reading aren't registering, so I'm reading the questions over and over. There are 85 of them. It takes me an hour and a half to fail. I knew I failed then but got the details today. I failed with a 68 or's on a graph and kind of tough to tell where the line falls, but still...really close. I can take it again on my own dime and get reimbursed once I pass, but I have such a difficult time preparing for tests...I dread doing it all again. The goofy thing is that it's on a subject I know a lot about...we'll see what happens. I gotta psych myself up for it.

Steinvic bought a gorgeous pair of sneakers for me (and matching socks!) last week, and soon it will be warm enough to start back on our evening walks. My former shoes were so old and hard and I'd broken down all the padding, so these will be great. And, from a fashion perspective, they happen to match the awesome Reds hat Steinvic also got for me, so I am set! (And spoiled, I think...)

The time change has me completely out of whack. It will be great to have more daylight tonight, but it was hard getting up in the middle of the night (my 5:30 a.m. was actually 4:30 a.m.... ugh!)
Anyway...that is about it from here. Besides that I forgot to pack a lunch for today. Okay, now that's it from here...

No comments: